Building SharePoint 2013 with PowerShell

1 Comment

In my previous post, I installed and configured SharePoint Configuration and Central Admin databases as well as provisioned Central Admin Site.

I continued to build my new SharePoint environment to see if there’s a difference in the script I used with SharePoint Preview.  It turned out better than I thought.  In the Preview product, I would get the following message occasionally.

could not create a CmdletConfiguration for CmdletName Start-BulkOperation, CmldetClass  , CmdletHelpFile C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\CONFIG\PowerShell\Help\Microsoft.Office.Education.Institution.dll-Help.xml.

Nothing like such happened with this new environment.  As a matter of fact, it was so clean.  I was very surprised.  Below are the screenshots of the script’s results.  I had to capture two screenshots because Search components displayed a lot of information.

I guess I could take a look at my script to limit the amount of Search information displayed here.

Just because there’s a lot of IDs displayed in the PowerShell window, Search components are very “clean” in Search Administration window.

All SharePoint databases that I’ve provisioned so far look like this (no GUIDs).

I look forward to working more with SharePoint 2013.  If I should come across something “unusual”, I’ll try to keep them posted.

SharePoint 2013 and MAXDOP

2 Comments

I started installing SharePoint  2013 on Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012.  I used PowerShell to configure SharePoint Configuration and Central Administration Databases.

I used SPService account which has dbcreator and securityadmin rights to the SQL Server.  Normally, this would prompt me for SPService’s password and create SharePoint Configuration and Central Administration databases without any issues.

SharePoint 2013 now has intelligence, or whatever you want to call it, built in to detect whether SQL is set to perform at its maximum performance potential.

If you just install SQL without taking advantage of its performance settings, you’d get an error similar to this.

Open SQL Server Management Studio and right click on the SQL Server properties

Navigate to Advanced and change Max Degree of Parallelism (MAXDOP) from 0 to 1

After fixing what SharePoint and SQL are looking for, my PowerShell script ran with expected results.

Here’s how the databases (no GUIDs) look from SQL Server Management Studio.

I still have to finish configuring the Service Applications.  I’ll post my learning experience in my next post.