I started installing SharePoint  2013 on Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012.  I used PowerShell to configure SharePoint Configuration and Central Administration Databases.

I used SPService account which has dbcreator and securityadmin rights to the SQL Server.  Normally, this would prompt me for SPService’s password and create SharePoint Configuration and Central Administration databases without any issues.

SharePoint 2013 now has intelligence, or whatever you want to call it, built in to detect whether SQL is set to perform at its maximum performance potential.

If you just install SQL without taking advantage of its performance settings, you’d get an error similar to this.

Open SQL Server Management Studio and right click on the SQL Server properties

Navigate to Advanced and change Max Degree of Parallelism (MAXDOP) from 0 to 1

After fixing what SharePoint and SQL are looking for, my PowerShell script ran with expected results.

Here’s how the databases (no GUIDs) look from SQL Server Management Studio.

I still have to finish configuring the Service Applications.  I’ll post my learning experience in my next post.

Advertisements