SharePoint 2013 Include People in Search Results – Duplicate Results

Leave a comment

I followed instructions in Steve Mann’s post on how to add people results in ‘Everything’ search results page.  All is well when you type in only first name or last name of the person.

When I typed in first and last name, two results are shown.

TwoPeopleResults

One titled ‘People Results’ came from the newly created query rule (People in Everything), and one titled ‘People Named’ came from OOTB SharePoint query rule.

This is not the desired results for me.  I only want one people results returned.

I modifed the ‘People in Everthing’ query rule to match either first or last name (unless you have the same first and last name, this rule will not work).

{subjectTerms} (LastName:”{subjectTerms}” OR FirstName:”{subjectTerms}”)

PeopleQueryRule

The search results now looks like this.

OnePeopleResultsBlock

Happy searching!

Advertisements

SharePoint 2013 Newsfeed Outside My Sites Hashtags and Pictures

1 Comment

Making My Sites’ Newsfeed Web part available outside of My Sites is well documented in Bernardo Nguyen-Hoan’s post.  I’ll capture the summary of it here.

This is a hidden site collection feature, so you’ll need to run the following PowerShell to make this happen:

Enable-SPFeature -Identity 6928B0E5-5707-46a1-AE16-D6E52522D52B -Url http://yourSiteCollection

After the feature is enabled, you’ll see a number of available My Sites Web parts.  The focus of this post is on Newsfeed Web part.

MySitesWebParts

Here you can see that I added the Newsfeed Web part on my intranet home page.  I could add new posts and reply to existing posts with no issues.

PostsFromIntranet

New posts and replies were updated in my Newsfeed on my My Site.

PostsFromMySite

Everything worked as expected, until I tried to use or reply using hashtags from my intranet site (ex: #Alaska).

HashtagError

Trying to upload pictures via Newsfeed, again from my intranet site, gave me accces denied error.

PictureUploadError

I thought, hmm…, this has got to be a permission problem.

The ULS looked like this:

Microsoft.Office.Server.Social.SPSocialException: The current user is not authorized to perform the operation. Internal type name: Microsoft.Office.Server.Microfeed.MicrofeedException. Internal error code: 2.

I checked my Term Store and I could see that the new hashtags were added including #Alaska.

TermStoreHashtags

So, I granted my intranet AppPool account full control to My Sites Web application (did not work).

Granted my My Sites AppPool account full control to my intranet site (did not work)

Granted my intranet AppPool account dbo rights to MySites’ content DBs, User Profiles DBs, Managed Metadata DB, Search DBs (did not work)

Anywhere I could think of, I granted full control (still…nothing worked).

I tried different farms, different VMs, the same error kept popping up.

Finally, I changed my AppPool account for my My Sites Web application to use the same account as my intranet Web application.

Success!  I could post and reply using hashtags from my intranet.  Upload pictures worked, too.

I’m not saying this is the right solution, but it’s a solution that worked for me.