After hearing and reading a whole lot about the new MinRole in SharePoint 2016, I had to see what it’s all about by building my own VM.

For this post, I installed SQL Server 2014 and SharePoint 2016 Beta on the same VM server.  I ran the SharePoint Configuration Wizard to get all services and Central Admin provisioned.

I selected the ‘Single-Server Farm’ in the Server Role wizard.

SP2016ServerRole

I checked ‘Servers in this farm’, so far so good.

SP2016ServerFarm

I then tried to convert from ‘Single-Server Farm’ to ‘Application’ using Central Administration.  I got this lovely ‘Sorry, something went wrong’ message.

ConvertToApp

So, I searched the ULS and found these two entries.

12/29/2015 09:21:35.41         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x109C)                           0x316C        SharePoint Foundation                 Topology                             a72id        Exception        Failed converting server ‘VMSP2016T’ from ‘Application’ to ‘Application’ role. System.InvalidOperationException: Invalid search service unprovisioning: application ‘Search Service Application’ still has a ready component ‘in search service instance’ on server ‘VMSP2016T’.     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.ThrowIfComponentsRunning()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Unprovision()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServerRoleManager.<>c__DisplayClass4.<UnprovisionServiceInstance>b__3()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServerRoleManager.ConfigureServiceInstanceInternal(SPServiceInstance serviceInstance, Action configureAction)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServerRoleManager.C…        9b04509d-281a-f0ea-9175-4a569f8e73cf

12/29/2015 09:21:35.41*        OWSTIMER.EXE (0x109C)                           0x316C        SharePoint Foundation                 Topology                             a72id        Exception        …onfigureServiceInstance(SPServiceInstance serviceInstance)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServerRoleManager.ConfigureServer(Boolean throwOnFailure)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServerRoleConversionJobDefinition.Execute(Guid targetInstanceId) StackTrace: at onetnative.dll: (sig=55ee5f49-67a4-4a49-9862-19eec61e14d2|2|onetnative.pdb, offset=3712D) at onetnative.dll: (offset=1E35E)        9b04509d-281a-f0ea-9175-4a569f8e73cf

I tried unprovisioning, re-provisioning Search and all of its components, and tried and tried without success to convert to the ‘Application’ role.

I ended up disconnecting and reconnecting the server from its configuration database via PowerShell.  Credit for this solution goes to Nik Charlebois.

Disconnect-SPConfigurationDatabase -Confirm:$False

Connect-SPConfigurationDatabase -DatabaseServer SharePointDB -DatabaseName SharePoint_Config -Passphrase (ConvertTo-SecureString “P@ssw0rd1” -AsPlainText -Force) -LocalServerRole “Application”

Get-SPServer

DisconnectReconnectServer

As you can see from the Get-SPServer command that the server is now running as an ‘Application’ role.

Just to re-validate, I launched Central Admin and voila!  My server is now configured as ‘Application’.

SP2016AppRole

 

Advertisements