Earlier this week I ran across the most unusual error in SharePoint. The strangest thing was that it impacted IE only while Chrome continued to work.
Here’s the site in IE:
And the same site in Chrome:
In the midst of troubleshooting, I did not get a chance to capture many screenshots. But the one thing I captured was the virus scan window; it popped up every time I refreshed IE browser window.
It was pretty obvious to me that it was not SharePoint as I was able to work in Chrome. But I continued to comb through logs just to be sure.
After a couple of hours, the security team reported that they rolled back the Trend Micro pattern file due to the widespread errors reported globally. SharePoint in IE was working once again.
Trend Micro released a new pattern to correct this issue. It can be downloaded here.